Teen Dating Abuse Facts
- 1 in 5 teens who have been in a serious relationship report being hit, slapped or pushed by a partner.
- 1 in 3 teenagers report knowing a friend or peer who has been hit, punched, kicked, slapped, choked or physically hurt by their partner.
- 1 in 4 teenage girls who have been in relationships reveal they have been pressured to perform oral sex or engage in intercourse.
- More than 1 in 4 teenage girls in a relationship report enduring repeated verbal abuse.
- One-third or more of teens who have been in a relationship have been with a partner who frequently asked where they were and whom they were with.
- 1 in 4 teens who have been in a serious relationship say their boyfriend or girlfriend has tried to prevent them from spending time with friends or family; the same number have been pressured to only spend time with their partner.
- Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend had threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a break-up.
You are not alone.
Are any of these things happening in your relationship?
You have the right to be safe and treated with respect. There is help if you are in an abusive relationship.
Contact TESSA's 24/7 Teen Crisis Line –
Teenage Research Unlimited (http://www.loveisnotabuse.com/surveyresults.htm)
Technology & Teen Dating Abuse Survey, 2007
Teen Dating Abuse Survey, 2006
Teen Dating Abuse Survey, 2005